Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Maria Avelar by Jose Sanchez

Q: Where were you born and lived most of your life?
A: My roots go back to Ocojala, Puebla, Mexico. The third of five sisters and six brothers, part of a big and united family. Raised in a small city then, moved to the capital Mexico City lived there for 6 years. The most important decision of my life was made when I decided to migrate to the United States in 1990 and lived here ever since. For eighteen years Athens, GA has been my home and birthplace to all my children. About two months ago I bought a double wide trailer in Nicholson, GA which we are moving to at the end of May.
Q: How is a day in your life and what pushes you every morning to get up and face the daily challenges?
A: My day at Athens Stone Casting starts at 5:30 a.m. to get ready and after a long day of work ends at 5:00p.m. I get home clean the house and cook dinner for my beautiful children. When I have time left I help my two little ones do their homework. My four children are the strength and fuel that push me every day and make me work hard. To provide my children with a good education and a better way of life.
Q: Did your family’s economic income impulse you into the person you are today?
A: Most definitely yes, we were a poor family that did not always have enough of the everyday necessities. From my own life experiences I made a commitment to provide my children with a better life. Give them the things I lacked such as, food, clothes, and a good education.
Q: What activities or volunteering do you do for the community?
A: Being honest I am scarce of time and don’t have enough time to participate as much as I would want to in the community. During the weekends I attend St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. From time to time I volunteer at Petzone Dog Rescue walking and feeding dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment